The project significance:
- The first interpretative center of an archeological site in Morocco.
- It covers more than 1300 m² of display area.
- It belongs to an architectural complex constructed at the site entrance, about 200m length in order to get the management needs, reception and the interpretation.
- It was constructed of the edge of a valley at the site entrance within a green area covered with trees, and 8 meters under the ground level.
- For a better visual and an optimal integration with the surrounding environmental, the buildings walls were cladded by wooden panels.
- It displays a distinctive archeological artificats discovered in the site, and a set of original and archival documents.
- It Includes a variety of dynamic tools for exhibition and interpretation (audio – visuals, photography, maps and written…).
The project goals:
- Bring to light and valorize the archeological site of Volubilis: Its civilization, history, economic and urban aspects, along with its culture and population beliefs.
- Encourage to visit the Archeological site.
- Increase the visitor’s number and improves the economic incomes through new exhibitions and relevant information’s
- Sensitize visitors to protect and preserve their heritage.
- Introductory exhibition space along the lower passage between the entrance and the ruins of the site.
- An immersion space (lower room housing the introductory passage).
- Space deepening visit (the upper glass room).